The mayor is an executive body in the municipality and is directly elected by the population for a term of 4 years.
The mayor of the municipality performs his functions, envisaged by the Law on Local Self-Government and Local Administration, by:
- manages the entire executive activity of the municipality;
- directs and coordinates the activities of the specialized implementing bodies;
- appoints and dismisses deputy mayors of the municipality, mayoral deputies, heads of maintenance units from the municipal budget, heads and employees of the municipal administration, except for those under Art. 46, para. 1, item 4 of the Law on Local Self-Government and Local Administration imposes the disciplinary sanctions provided by law;
- be responsible for the preservation of public order by issuing written orders binding on the heads of the respective structures of the Ministry of the Interior;
- organizes the implementation of the municipal budget;
- organizes the implementation of long-term programs;
- organizes the implementation of the acts of the municipal council and submits to the municipal council a report on their implementation twice a year;
- organizes the implementation of the tasks deriving from the laws, the acts of the President of the Republic and the Council of Ministers;
- assigns the performance of their functions to the mayors of mayoralties, coordinates and controls the expediency and legality of their performance. Exercises control over the legality of the acts and actions of the mayors in the exercise of their powers and imposes the prescribed administrative penalties;
- maintains liaison with political parties, public organizations and movements, as well as with other bodies of local self-government in the country and abroad;
- chairs the Security Council;
- assigns or permits the development of development plans and their amendments for the territory of the municipality or for parts of it and approves certain development plans under the terms and procedure of the Territorial Development Act, and organizes their implementation;
- performs the functions of a civil servant. He may delegate this function by written order to the mayors of mayoralties keeping civil registers, mayoral deputies and other officials of the municipal administration;
- represents the municipality before natural and legal persons and before the court;
- provides organizational and technical services to the municipal council and participates in its meetings with the right to an advisory vote;
- approves the regulations of the municipal administration;
- sends to the municipal council the administrative acts, as well as the contracts and their amendments and supplements, issued in implementation of the acts adopted by the council, within three days after their issue or signature;
- renders assistance to condominiums and their governing bodies under the terms and procedure of the Condominium Management Act.
In fulfillment of his powers, the mayor issues orders.
The mayor of the municipality submits to the municipal council a management program for the term of office within three months after taking the oath. The program contains the main goals, priorities, activities, deadlines and expected results. The Mayor of the municipality submits to the municipal council an annual report on the implementation of the program by 31 January.